Monday

Senior Project week- Day 1

Monday 16- Having spent much time in LA, this week I am going to do the artistic endeavour of writing a screenplay based on my experiences in LA this year during pilot season. This is very ambitious but having read many screenplays of movies (most of which aren't even in theaters yet), I am aware of what a cutting edge screenplay looks like. I am going to double major in Loyola Marymount University in LA with screenwriting (as well as European History) so hopefully my passion for writing and acting shines through. Having flown in this morning from my brother's college graduation from Duke, I have spent the day writing rough draft after rough draft for an (as of yet) untitled work. Starting the story is the hardest. A story follows one thread that is either woven into other threads (Like "Love Actually"), tied in a circular necklace-like knot (like "Titanic"), or is a clothesline that gets from point A to point B (think "127 hours" or book adaptations). Of course, some of the best break all these "rules" (Inception, La Vie en Rose, etc.) Yet as the famous saying goes, you must learn the rules to break them. My experiences in LA have so many threads of thoughts and experiences that in my mind form one story but on paper form a clumpy knot. By this end of the week, through sweat and tears, I will have a complete feature length screenplay. I have my thread: Identity.

2 comments:

  1. I like your discussion of ways that screenplays are organized. Sitting. Thinking. Writing. Rewriting. I sometimes think that may be the hardest work on the planet. Oh, I heard this at a workshop: There are two kinds of writers--good writers and quitters.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete